The first traces of the Bichot family date back to 1214. They settled in Burgundy in 1350, in their fief of Châteauneuf-en-Auxois. The family’s coat of arms has not changed since nor has its symbol, a doe.
In 1831, Bernard Bichot founded a wine trading business in his name in Monthélie. His son, Hippolyte, succeeded him and bought the first vines in Volnay. His son, Albert Bichot, the first to bear the name, gave the family business new momentum in the late 19th century and settled in the centre of Beaune once and for all in 1912.
In the second half of the 20th century, his four sons, Albert, Bernard, Bénigne and Jean-Marc, inherited this know-how. A new era of expansion began with the construction of a large ageing cellar, a new bottling centre and winery. Our wines were available in all of the world’s continents.
The concerns and values of the estate extend beyond the wine business and they support many different forms of culture including literature, music, and film festivals throughout the region. The estate was also energetic in helping the region achieve UNESCO heritage site stastus.